I have spent much of my life working in community arts and media, youth work and education, and as a community radio volunteer and trainer. I have been involved in grassroots projects in Lebanon with Palestinian artists and cultural workers, migrant worker activists and Lebanese ngos and activists. These were mostly about training, while producing short experimental films, music and various audio works.
When I am in Sydney I contribute to Radio Skid Row, 88.9 FM as a mentor and trainer, and running the Women of Colour Podcast project, which aims to produce feminist knowledge out of everyday stories of resistance, while mentoring new female producers.
This year I also produced three audio documentaries as part of the series, Palestine, History, Music and Context, and two audio documentaries about the Lebanese Uprising.
Part of the challenge in my grassroots work and in my university teaching has been to expose the false binary between theory and practice. To think about how to theoretically and critically strengthen grassroots activist work, while making sure the theory we teach in our classrooms is enriched and challenged by the real world and its struggles against economic inequality, racism and patriarchy.
- Nakad. R. (2020). Palestine: History, Music and Context. Radio Skid Row. (Audio Documentary) https://soundcloud.com/radio-skid-row/sets/palestine-history-music-and
- Nakad. R. (2020). Lebanon Uprising. Radio Skid Row. (Audio Documentary) https://soundcloud.com/radio-skid-row/lebanon-ep-1-online-version, https://soundcloud.com/radio-skid-row/the-lebanese-uprising-history-and-context-episode-2
- Nakad. R. (2012). Daring in Discourse. In Discourse on Colonialism by Aimé Césaire. (A. J. Khamseh. Trans). Dar el Farabi. (Original work published 1950) http://dar-alfarabi.com/product/%d8%ae%d8%b7%d8%a7%d8%a8-%d8%b9%d9%86-%d8%a7%d9%84%d8%a7%d8%b3%d8%aa%d8%b9%d9%85%d8%a7%d8%b1/
- StudioCamps Collective. (2004-2015). www.youtube.com/studiocamps
- Nakad. R (2017). Aesthetic Activism: 3 day Workshop. Safadi Fine Arts 1201, LAU, Beirut.